WhiteHatBox
Share Page
Following(1)
Partner(s)
caliray

Is there a repository of common actions?

ReplyThanks 2014/03/27 10:48:11 0 0

For example to open and sort a spreadsheet?

UPDATE: The above was my original question but after watching the BotChief tutorial on Youtube it seems that Bot Chief was created for automating actions on websites. True or not?

If created for automating actions on websites, does that exclude interactions on my computer for copying and pasting data?

WhiteHatBox
2014/03/28 00:08:36
Yes, botchief is mainly for operating web page. But data operation is also important in a program. You can post the details what you want to do, then I can tell you if botchief can do it now, or we can add this function in the update very fast.
Let's ROCK!
caliray
2014/03/28 05:20:57

Thank you for replying to my question. Based on my limited experience with BotChief I may not phrase my question very well but I will try.

To me this seems very complicated. For you it could be very simple so here goes.

1. Can Bot Chief be programmed to load a spreadsheet on my computer based on the file name?

Example: C:\Users\User\Desktop\Research for Gary\Automating with BotChiefEditor\test of macro HC sample 032614.xls

2. If the spreadsheet can be loaded, can BotChief read any cell content to copy to the clipboard?

3. If the spreadsheet cell data can be copied to the clipboard, can BotChief then load a website, find the form field needed and paste the clipboard data into the form and click a submit button?

#3 is what BotChief already does so that does not seem to be any problem. It's steps 1 and 2 that I hope BotChief can do.

Other actions will follow #3 but most are done on the internet at the website. If BotChief can do the above, I will be asking other questions of how to do more "offline" functions such as taking a screenshot of the webpage and saving it.

I think it would be great if people could create pieces of code for doing specific things with BotChief and then upload them to a repository so others could plug them into their own programs as snippets.

One other addition might be for users here to be able to send files from trusted users. I realize the potential risk for someone to upload a virus or other malicious software so that may not be the best idea.

BotChief is already an amazing piece of software and I appreciate that it is freely shared with anyone wanting to use it.

WhiteHatBox
2014/03/28 12:53:22

Hi caliray, for now, botchief can do part of 1 and 2.

1. Botchief can load csv file, not xls file.

2. Botchief can read all cell, but can't copy into clipboard.

But if you just want to submit these cell data into site, you don't need copy them into clipboard.

And the function to copy data to clipboard is not hard, if there is a special need, we can add It.

And also we are adding the API function, so that other developer can write their plugin and use in botchief

Let's ROCK!
caliray
2014/03/28 13:08:51

Can you instruct me how to do 1 and 2 and "submit these cell data into site"?

Thank you.

Raymond

WhiteHatBox
2014/03/29 01:01:28
We will finish current update first, then tell you how to do that in the newest version.
Let's ROCK!
caliray
2014/03/29 05:01:30
OK, thanks you.
<< < 1> >>
VerifyCode
Advanced Option